What is it
The content development dashboard gives you the ability to start Linux and Windows machines on TryHackMe. You can use base images provided by TryHackMe to develop entirely new content, or you can make changes to your own uploaded material.
How To Use
The content creation dashboard can be accessed under the Your Material page on TryHackMe. You'll need to request TryHackMe to give you additional permissions to use the additional functionality on this page.
Using Base Images
If you want to use a brand new machine to create a challenge or walk through from scratch, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Custom Development Tab
- Click the Launch Button
- Specify the disk size of the machine you want to use:
- For Windows machines the disk size needs to be between 30GB and 60GB
- Select the instance type to allocate resources
Once you've selected these options, click the Launch button and your new VM will be created.
To access the Linux machines, you need to request a private key from TryHackMe before you launch the machine.
To access the Windows machines, you'll need to ask TryHackMe for the custom windows password before you launch the machine.
Using Your Own Material
To make changes to your own materials, follow the same process as above but with the machines listed under the Uploads tab. Please note you can only access the machines in the Uploads tab using the credentials you used to create the machine.
Changed To Deployed Instances
Once you've launched the instances using either of these methods, you'll notice that you can apply various options to these instances:
- Stop Instance - This is used to stop the instance. We recommend you use this feature if you're no longer working on a machine but plan to work on it in the future.
- Clone Instance - This is used to take a copy of the current instance and add it to your material. When you clone an instance,
- Terminate Instance - This is used to terminate the instance. Please do this when you've completed development on a machine.
Changes To Your Material
You are able to change the resources attached to your materials. You can do this using the drop down selection button on the Default Instance Type column. To get more information about the instance types and their associated resources, click the 'Default Instance Type' title.
If you want your machines to be accessible in the browser when a machine is launched in the room, you can also add this in using the button on the 'In Browser Access' column. The in browser access can only be enabled if the machine has the following protocols configured:
Perform the following steps to enable the in browser access:
- Set enabled to True in the drop down
- Add the username and password needed to access the machine
- Select the in browser access method:
- If the instance is configured to use the VNC protocol, select the NoVNC option
- If the instance is configured to use SSH or RDP, select the guac option
- Select the associated protocol in the next drop down. Please note that the VNC protocol will only work with the NoVNC option in the previous drop down
- Enter the port on the target machine that's configured to use the aforementioned protocol
- Add the number of minutes on the boot time option depending on how long the machine takes to start up
All virtual machines that are started on the content development dashboard have internet access, however its only accessible when you're connected to the VPN. To connect to TryHackMe's network via VPN, please visit the access page.